Preaching to the potentially converted

Ok, so I wont say that I know everything by a long way, but I can say I know enough to get by currently and certainly enough to hold a conversation or enlighten someone on the facts.

Since taking this seemly "different" hobby up 7 months ago, (Yes a friend classified home brewing as different hobby - a very endearing way of putting it, which I would have to agree to a certain point of view as it is different to the usual video gaming, football, sports nuts that we all know)



I have noticed that there are three categories of people:
  • Ones that find out you make your own beer strike a conversation about the basics (such as how long it all takes, how much it all costs and what things you need etc) - new years eve (2015) surprised me as I was able to hold a few friends attention regarding home brewing for longer than I thought, then peoples hunger kicked in and I lost them to the party food table!
  • Ones that like beer....a lot and again strike a conversation on the basics but this time they ask what beers you can do with it, flavours and all the like. I was at my bosses recent leaving run and someone caught wind I made my own beer and started asking questions.
    He thought that you needed lots of equipment taking loads of space so his wife stopped him even thinking of brewing his own. I enlightened him to that fact that all my equipment & bottles (apart from my brewing bucket and new wort pan) are stored in 4 boxes in the airing cupboard. I wouldn't get away with it all around the house so I do my best to keep it for my eyes only!
  • The people that either have been thinking of doing their own brew or know someone who does. I have been lucky in a way with this one, as a fellow work colleague's wife has been mentioning to my colleague that she wanted to get into it for along time, Ive been kind enough to give him bottles of every batch Ive done (sometimes more than one bottle of the same batch). This fully converted him to the idea and ordered a beginners kit for his wife's birthday. He has been, apart from my Dad, has been the biggest fan and spreads the word a bit too well.....soon I might have a queue of people at my desk to asking for a bottle of my next batch! 
With working in a male majority environment I have found that I can get a lot of feedback from my beers, most often it is good as they are surprised by the standard of what you can do with just a basically a few buckets, this was just with my first few batches from a kit too.

A few people didn't like my  Fimbelwinter Black IPA as it wasn't their type of beer or just a bit too bitter for them.
They have all said at some point though that they would happily pay for my beer at a pub, sometimes they have even said it was better than some of things they've tasted.

This new hobby is a great conversation starter, keeps you in the good books with work colleagues (it works for me!) and if this all converts someone else into the fold then all the better. 


I have converted 1 person in 7 months and have got at least 2 other people seriously thinking about the venture, not a bad success rate I don't think. 



Until next time.....Happy Brewing!



Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Home brewing certainly is a 'different' hobby, one that appears to have gained popularity the last few years given the variety of quality kits available and with people's taste drifting towards 'craft beers'.

    Whilst I know a few who make their own wine, I only know of one other female who brews beer (my mate from the gym who I 'swap' with!) but I have found that when I mention my hobby, the people are split in the categories you mention. Most guys, when they find out that there's actually some effort involved, just say that they can't be bothered!

    I tend to give away around a dozen bottles from each batch to friends and colleagues. This 'generosity' has led to people buying me kits for my birthday and also Christmas, so I have my next three planned (and who doesn't love 'free' beer!), although one's a winter brew and another is stout so not sure if I've got time to brew both!

    ReplyDelete