Evolution of Bottle labels


I maybe still new to Home Brew in the grand scheme of things, but I find researching into certain aspects very interesting so probably my overall knowledge is quite high for someone who has only really brewed for 6 months. It helps with the all the established home brew forums out there.
The best one I repeatedly go back to is The Home Brew Forum, it has certainly been usefully diving into the forum & the established members are usually very swift and knowledgeable to help with any issues or the like.


As I have a background in Computing,Multimedia, Web & Graphic design I have always enjoyed designing & creating labels of some description for all the brews Ive done. 

Labels don't go on all the bottles, I usually save my nice 500ml flip top bottles for either myself, social gatherings or family so I know I'll get the bottles back and I tend not to put labels on if only I'll be drinking it. 

Front Labels of my previous brews



I do however put labels on ones that I either cap or go to friends or family as Homemade presents, as it rounds it all off into a neat presentation. It gives me a sense of pride giving something you've spent lots of time on that also looks the part. 

I originally started making labels like luggage tags (see left) that I hole punched at the top and tied them on via string to the neck of the bottles. This gave a nice handmade country shop feel to it but was quite labor intensive so I only attached the labels as and when. 






Way to Amarillo Label
(next brew to bottle)


I have recently found some avery labels (ones that are designed to fit a 3.5" floppy disk) I must have had these ages! Finding the label template on the web, I started redesigning the layout of my designs for future brews. As I use Photoshop I always either have a basic design template saved as .psd or I modify an existing brew label, if I want to save some time.  

These look a perfect size for any shaped & sized bottles (300ml or 500ml)


I also produced a back label, The luggage type had it printed on the reverse, the new avery style will be stuck on the other side of the bottle.  I needed to do this as many 'give away' bottles people were just pouring the whole bottle in, so the sediment was being disturbed and yeast sometimes going in the glass. 



Back Bottle Condition Label
So this back label was made to tell the drinker its bottled conditioned, do they read it and pour carefully......probably not all the time! 
It really does make me cringe if I see how they pour it from the bottle. 
Hopefully now, as Ive stepped up my labels to mirror a proper packaged bottle it'll be more striking to drinkers.







What do you think? Do you label your brews & how? Do you want to label your brews? 


Until next time.......Happy Brewing








Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I don't label the bottles for my own consumption.

    But the ones I hand out to friends and colleagues are all labelled.

    I use https://www.beerlabelizer.com/ - you can get some quite professional (and fun) labels here.

    Apparently, if your bottles are glass, milk is the best 'glue' to use to stick them on your bottles and easy to remove.

    Since I use PET bottles, Pritt Stick does the job for me (milk doesn't seem to work on plastic)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have thought to use Pritt Stick. I may look into beerlabelizer, is it quite expensive per label? I'll probably continue for now making my own labels, as I enjoy it & keeps my past skills in check, all be it on a quite simple design.

      Delete
    2. A couple of the labels are marked as 'free' but with some 'shrewd' screen captures, all of them are free...

      Delete