What happened to you Panda??

Since my last update I've been drinking Red Panda, brewing and bottling a new batch of 'Saison of Love'.

This post will cover Red Panda and a following post will cover how the brew day and keg test of Saison of Love turned out.

What can I say about this Red Panda?  Unfortunately it didn't improve from my earlier week one taste test.  When I was working my way through the keg (or trying to) it was so overly bitter for my tastes, like the feeling you get when you have a really bitter coffee, that lingering gnarly bitterness. I couldn't even really get the malt backbone.

It is a real same as the colour was spot on and so was the flavour prior to dry hopping.

So where did this all go wrong....all I can narrow it down to is the dry hop quantities and timings, looking back I put 85g of hops (30g Galaxy & Belma, 20g of Cascade) in a 15l batch. Going further back into my recipes I only used between 25-35g total for dry hopping for the same sized batch.



I've never poured my beer down the sink, but I had to this time. I drunk about 6 pints from the 1/2 filled keg over the cause of a weekend or so, if I had a second keg I would of kept it to see how it fared a few months down the line, however I knew I wanted it for my so it had to go.

It was all going so well as the final gravity reading sample tasted sweet, with the strawberry like notes coming through, before passion fruit.

You live and learn, I will do this again however as I liked it up till a point and will adjust the hop schedule accordingly to see if its any better.

Until next time.......Happy Brewing






Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment