Saison Of Love

Two weeks ago was brew day for my go to Saison - Saison of Love. I brewed this first last year, when I was only using a large pan on top of the stove.

A recent purchase of a grain basket was used instead of a grain bag and it worked out really well, I was even able to place it on top of the Ace Boiler and do small sparge easier too.

The hop break was pretty intense, more than my recent brews. I should of however listened to in hindsight to myself and used a strainer instead of my boiler for the hops. Even though relatively small in comparison to Red Panda for instance, it still blocked the tap, so caused my some frustration trying to transfer it.

Implementing a few other tips during the brew I was able to increase temperature pretty quickly and maintain the mash temp quite well using a blanket pegged around the boiler. Maybe small but all helps to a smoother brew day.


During the start the temps were 19-20c, while leaving it alone but keeping an eye on it, the highest temp I read was 23c over the course of the 9 days. Granted the fermentation was complete in 4 days, airlock was going like a train. I dry hopped it with 30g Hallertau Blanc.

I bottled 6 litres and kegged about the same, leaving around 2l in the fermenter. 

.....A week has past now and as Thursdays are the new Fridays I've tapped the keg. Over the course of this week I've used 3 16g cartridges to carb the keg up to ,at constant temp of around 15-18c and 26 PSI which equates to 2.66 co2 volume so within the range of the saison.

Tasting it this weekend, it definitely has that
white wine/fruity quality about it, starting fermenting on the lower end of the scale probably helped with the fruity notes.
The funky saison notes come threw in the aroma and at the back of the palette, so doesnt overwhelm the fruity flavours.

Always difficult to compare to a brew from a year go but it holds up well to memory. Be interesting to taste of f there is difference when I come to opening the bottles.

Considering the keg was slightly half full there doesn't appear much left, I've put it away for the week now.

Until next time....Happy Brewing




Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment